Today we’re having a look at the ongoing NBA promotions at BetMGM – one of our top recommended sportsbooks and a local US favorite. Lots of people misunderstand part of a promotion which can lead to an error in use and potentially lost money, at Sports Betting Guide, we want to help you avoid that!
Let’s go through each of their current NBA offers and how to make best use of them without any bad surprises, like your Free Bet all of the sudden disappearing from your account before you could use it to place a bet.
To make use of these offers, you're going to need to know what a Free Bet is and how they generally work, feel free to check out our guide for that here.
For all offers in the article, T&C applies.
First of all, if you’re not signed up with BetMGM, in most states you can make use of a welcome offer that's a risk-free bet up to $600, here’s how that works:
- Sign up to BetMGM here and accept the welcome offer in the process of doing so.
- Place a bet of up to $600.
- If you win, you get to enjoy the score as the money is your and the bonus complete.
- If you lose, you get one or multiple Free Bets added to your account, depending on the stake of your first placed bet. From the BetMGM website:
If your Qualifying Bet loses and it is greater than $50, you’ll receive Free Bets back in denominations of 20% of the total number of Free bet earnings you’re eligible for. If your Qualifying Bet loses and it is less than $50, you’ll receive Free Bets back in a single denomination equaling the total number of Free Bet earnings you’re eligible for
- If you make full use of the offer and place a $600 bet to start with, the above means you’ll get five Free Bets back on a loss, each worth $120.
It’s important to note that you can’t use the Cash out or Edit My Bet functions on your first bet, it HAS to settle, or else you won’t be considered eligible for the Free Bet.
Also, be aware that when using Free Bets, you get to keep the winnings but not the stake itself.
So, if you e.g use a $100 Free Bet on a market that pays back +100 and you win, the money added to your account will be the winnings of $100. This is an industry-standard that you’ll find across all sportsbooks that have Free Bets available in their promotion repertoire.
While it’s not as a great as getting straight cash back on a lost bet, the BetMGM welcome offer is a good one which can definitely be used for NBA betting. If using the full $600 value, you’d either start out with a good bank roll, or you’d have Free Bets equaling the same value available to build on.
But enough about the welcome offer, you might already be playing on BetMGM, so lets dive into the NBA promotions they currently have available for the NBA playoffs.
BetMGM Sportsbook Offer – Advance in the NBA playoffs and receive a Risk-Free betting token.
This is a cool offer that’s very much relevant while we’re still in the first round of the playoffs. When using this promotion, you get to both have a bet on an NBA winner and make some extra money along the way as they advance through the playoffs.
The offer is fairly simple in that the only thing you have to do is place a futures Outright Winner bet on your favorite team(or who you think will win).
Then, each time your chosen team advances in the playoffs, you get a Risk-Free betting token of up to $25 or equal to the size of your bet on the NBA Championship winner.
When using the Risk-Free betting token, which can be used on whatever kind of bet you’d like, you get to keep the winnings upon a win, but if you lose then you get the same value back as a Free Bet.
What to keep in mind about the Risk-Free betting token
There are a few ways to end up with a bad experience when using this kind of offer and we'd very much like for you to avoid that, so please be mindful of the information below:
- You have to opt-in on the promotions page and then place your NBA Championship Winner bet afterward, and you can only use the offer on one team.
- Any Free Bet received must be used within a week, or else it’ll expire automatically. Some sportsbooks might consider re-adding an expired Free Bet upon request, but it’s at their discretion.
- If your Free Bet ends up being a void or push, you don’t get the stake back. Keep this in mind when you use it, e.g you don’t want to place on a bet on an even Over/Under line like 210 as that can become a push. Instead make sure you chose a line of 210.5 as this bet will always have a clear settlement.
- You can’t cash out Free Bets, so don’t bother trying.
- Same as with the welcome offer, you only get the winnings off of your Free Bets and not the stake itself.
BetMGM Sportsbook Offer – Bet With NBA Playoff Overtime Insurance
Another nice offer from BetMGM and as the name of the promotion implies, you get money back if the team you bet on to win a game ends up losing in overtime.
Overtime looses absolutely sucks and this is a good way to avoid the heartbreak, as they put it at BetMGM.
The offer is up to $20 dollars, so if your bet towards the promotion is larger than that, you’ll still only get the $20 refunded.
As with all of these offers, you have to be sure to opt in on the promotions page, this can be done both via mobile or desktop – just sign in and go to the promotions section where you’ll find all offers available.
What to keep in mind about the Overtime Insurance
- The offer can only be used once and you have to opt-in for it to be active. Upon opting in, your first NBA Playoffs Moneyline bet will count towards the promotion.
- The bet has to be a Moneyline bet and it has to be placed with your own money, so don’t place it using a Free Bet already available on your account.
- You can’t cash out the bet, it has to settle.
- If your selected Moneyline bet loses in overtime, you get up to $20 back on your account as a Free Bet to be used within a week.
NBA Betting FAQ
Which sportsbook is best for betting on NBA?There are a lot of good ones available, check our review section to find the one best suited for you.
Is there extra value to be gained from using promotional offers?Yes absolutely, sportsbooks offer extra promotions all the time, often centered around Freebets or Bonus money.
Do NBA odds change?They may or may not change, depending on the betting action going on each outcome. If a lot of people e.g are betting on one team to win, the sportsbook might lower the odds on that team.
Can I use more than one offer at the same time?It depends on the sportsbook, on some you can only have one active offer at any time, while others allow you to have multiple offers active.
What can I bet on in the NBA?Almost anything really. You can bet on which team wins the game, the half or a quarter, how many points a player will score and a whole lot more.